114 Mansfield Hollow Road
Mansfield Center, Ct 06250
Job Title: Project Engineer, Custom Equipment
Posting Date: January 9, 2018
The Project Engineer has full project responsibility for all assigned projects including but not limited to; overseeing and directing designers to assure the design meets company and customer objectives, budget and scheduling, technical and any other requirements. Working with the Sales and Applications Engineer, the Project Engineer is responsible for developing the original concepts used for quoting and custom equipment proposals, and provides engineering and design estimates.The project engineer may be assigned multiple projects, and has primary technical responsibility for the successful design, build, test and installation of the equipment. The project engineer is expected to be capable and is responsible for continuous review of the project progress and status and will directly supervise the assigned Designer(s).
- Working with Sales and or Applications Engineering to fully develop / invent machine concept sketches meeting the customer and company expectations and requirements.
- Select, engineer, and choose all major equipment components to fully support the Designer and to allow the Designer to move forward without delay in developing the design layouts. This work is often accomplished during the proposal stage.
- Function as primary customer contact for specified project to assure project meets customer expectations and to conduct both formal and informal customer design reviews.
- Work with major component vendors to obtain quotes and technical information.
- Assist purchasing during the purchase of major components.
- Monitor, direct, oversee, and guide designers in order to assure that the design meets company and customer objectives.
- Maintain project schedules and manage projects to meet technical and financial milestones.
- Monitor and control project budgets based on equipment proposals and initial concepts.
- Provide engineering, design, drafting and controls cost estimates to Applications engineering during project proposal stage.
- Attend and support Sales and Applications Engineering meetings and project reviews.
- Maintain project notebooks, files, machine manuals and documents for assigned projects.
- Assist Designers as needed including; component selection, material properties, treatments, final finish, and periodic concepting on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for equipment testing from initial operation and debug to customer runoff and delivery.
Target Experience and Capabilities: (any and all combinations considered)
- Direct Custom machine Engineering or Design experience
- Project Management including; scheduling, budgets, technical compliance.
- PLC and or machine control familiarity or capability.
- Customer technical communication.
- Ability to work to customer specifications.
- Concept development
- Ability to supervise and oversee Designers and others
- Ability to “train” Junior Designers or Engineers
- 3D solid modeling (Solidworks)
- Machining and fabrication; full understanding, or actual capability.
- Willingness to work “hands on” to assist with product assembly.
- Machine control systems, basic or full knowledge.
Education and Experience:
This position requires significant direct experience in any or all of the above defined requirements. All combinations of Custom Machine Design, Engineering or Project Management experience and Education will be carefully considered.
Please send cover letter and resume to: HR17@automationconnection.com